Asylum Immigration Lawyers
Asylum is another form of immigration relief granted to people who prove that you are at risk of persecution if they return to their homeland. A person is able to apply for asylum if they fear their safety based on well-founded subjects including:
- Race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group (a social group is a group that a person belongs to that they are unable to change, for example: sexual orientation or gender)
In order to gain asylum, one must prove their life is at. They must be able to prove that the following groups or enforcements will persecute if they return:
- The government of their own country
- A group within the country that the government cannot or will not control
WHEN CAN YOU APPLY FOR ASYLUM?
Typically a person can apply for asylum within the first year of them residing in the United States. However, there is an exception to this requirement that can disregard the rule. It is important to talk with an attorney if you have lived within the United States for over a year, and want to apply for asylum. An experience lawyer at Litman Law Firm, PC can help guide you in the right direction. Talk with an attorney as soon as you can to see if you can qualify.
HOW DO YOUR PROVE TO AN IMMIGRATION JUDGE THAT YOUR ARE ENTITLED TO ASYLUM
- Assemble your evidence- It is important to carefully to this. Many people submit their application without taking the time to do this. At minimum, you should try to get the state report that writes out the conditions that you are in danger of returning to. This could be anywhere from stating that the political party you are a part of within your hometown is at high risk of being killed or that people of your race are at risk of persecution for different reasons. The more evidence you have, the better off your case will be.
- Detailed explanation of your case- It can be hard to obtain evidence if the army or government is after you in your own country. For this very reason, a lot of evidence in your case will depend on you. If you have been harmed, injured or tortured it is important that you go to a doctor. A doctor can state any physical evidence present that could help your case. There are many ways to go about providing evidence for your case. You should sit down and discuss them further with an attorney to make sure that everything is included.
- Simply tell the truth- Under the application process, and on the witness stand it is vital that you tell the truth. A judge can deny your application due to it not being creditable. If this happens, you not only will not be granted asylum, you will never be able to get a green card or citizenship through any other immigration laws. If your application is accepted, you and your family will be able to apply for a green card within a year.
COLORADO IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS PROTECTING YOU
If you are a person who is fearful of persecution if you return to your home country, you may be applicable for asylum. The application process for asylum must be done correctly, and the appropriate evidence must be presented. It is imperative that you contact an experienced lawyer before you submit your application. Our team of experienced, dedicated, and compassionate lawyers at Litman Law Firm, PC will work with you to ensure your safety. We will help you through the application process and prevent you from going back to your home country if you are at risk of persecution. Living in fear for your own life is something that no one should do.